Children love to roam throughout the house and especially intrude into the areas where they are not supposed to. Kitchen is one such part of the house. Especially if the age group is toddlers or those upto 12 years old, they are prone to several accidents in the kitchen.
When you design your kitchen and when you set up the things in it, your child is the person whom you should think of first. This will prevent running after him or her or constantly putting things away from the reach.
In United States alone there were more than 50 thousand kitchen accidents happened, most of them involved with kids and negligence on the part of parents. It is vital to make sure that your kitchen is kids-safe because not only your kids but the friends of your kids may come to your kitchen. You don’t want to keep running behind every kid.
Following are the points you need to take into account:
- If you have a toddler at home, place a child-safety gate at the kitchen entrance. Toddlers have a habit of pulling things or playing with objects. This could be risky.
- When designing the kitchen interior, keep certain things in mind. Make latches or locks for lower cabinets. Always keep certain cabinets at higher levels where they can be accessed by elders. You can keep sharper things at such places.
- Also have the switchboards at heights and make sure to unplug all the appliances when not in use.
- Avoid using table cloths or mats on the kitchen table as kids can pull them easily.
- Have a safe place to keep the oven or stove where your child cannot reach and also make sure there is no stool or chair nearby!
- Have a broad kitchen platform and keep the hot stuff at the back-end. Even if the kitchen platform is broad, do not place the child on it even casually!
Site like http://www.youmoveme.com/ca/new-westminster-movers can quickly setup especially when relocating outisde of Toronto.
These all are very basic safety tips which should be taken care of. I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences of making your kitchen a safe place your young kids. Please leave me a comment and let me know.