Breast Cancer is the second most common type of cancer in the world. Breast cancer starts in the breast cells of a women or men. Though breast cancer can occur in both genders, but women are at higher risk almost 100 percent as frequent as men.
Breast cancer is a malignant tumor that grows in one or both of the breasts. It usually develops in milk- producing areas ( ducts or lobules ) of the breast. A lump growth ( surrounding breast tissue) is the first sign of breast cancer. Other indicators of breast cancer are – nipple inversion, nipple discharge, change in size and shape of breast, skin dimpling etc. Pain in breast is not a sign of breast cancer, it could be an indication of breast health issues. So don’t avoid any kind of breast pain, get it checked as early as possible.
It has been observed by scientist that the hormones in women body Estrogen and Progesterone plays a major role in development of cancer. Doubling of cancer cells is caused by estrogen and the time estimated in doubling is 36 hours. The growing tumor requires high blood and oxygen supply which is provided by progesterone. Progesterone initiates or send messages to stromal cells in woman body to provide high oxygen and blood supply.
Types Of Breast Cancer
There are two most common types of breast cancer :
1. Non-invasive breast cancer :
Noninvasive Cancer is of two types:
- – DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ)
- – LCIS ( lobular carcinomia in situ).
Majority of the cancer are DCIS found in milk duct of the breast. LCIS is not considered as cancer and it shows abnormal cells in the lobules of the breast.
2. Invasive breast cancer :
Invasive breast cancer invades surrounding areas penetrating through normal breast tissue (such as the ducts and lobules). Invasive cancer can spread to other parts of the body, such as the bones, liver, lungs, and brain, thus are more serious than the noninvasive cancer.
Prevention Against Breast Cancer
It is well said that Precautions are better than cure, though we cannot always prevent our-self from diseases but a slight precautions can reduce the chances of diseases. Here are few tips for all women :
- – Stop Smoking : Carcinogens in cigrattes are very harmful for women making them 50 percent more susceptible for the development of breast cancer. So quit smoking if possible.
- – Reduce alcohol Intake : Studies had shown that alcohol increases the chances of breast cancer. So if possible quit otherwise minimize the alcohol intake.
- – Exercise Regularly : Develop an habit of exercising regularly which will help maintaining normal body weight as well as will keep you energetic and fit.
- – Reduce Fat Intake : Studies have shown taht low fat diet help reducing invasive breast cancer to a slight extent. Low fat diet also help in reducing various other dieases and help maintain a normal weight, thus indirectly it also reduces the chances of cancer.
- – Increase Intake of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables : Fresh fruits and vegetables contain antioxidant vitamins and nutrients which help in cancer prevention.
- – If a women is over 40 years, she should undergo a mammogram annually.
- – Self Examination : Develop an habit of self examination of breast monthly if you are 20 years of age.
- – Clinical Breast Examination : A women over 40 years should undergo clinical breast examination annually, while a women between 29 – 40 years should undergo clinical examination once every three years.
- – Increase Intake Of Flax seed, Soy : The chemical phytoestrogen found in flaxseed, whole grain and soy reduces the chances of breast cancer.
Leave me a comment and share tips on how to prevent breast cancer. The symptoms are pretty clear but there is a need to spread the awareness about it. Let me know what you think about it. Subscribe to our RSS for latest updates for free.