Are you over 50 and suddenly started feeling that fashion is not for you anymore? Well, as per studies women over 50 think they are tool old for fashion so they simply start opting dull clothes, apply very little or no makeup at all; there are exceptions too. In many countries even working women over 50 are seen wearing very light or no makeup at all, their clothing also sports very old and dull look. The question is WHY? Why you think there is no need to dress and style yourself at this stage of life.
Fashion is par beyond age boundaries and everyone can be fashionable to keep up with the latest trends, styles and keep up even with much younger women. Keep in mind that it’s all about visualizing yourself and feeling young at heart.
It’s a no-brainier that fashion trends change with time and they cater to different needs, age group and people. 18 year old girl (with svelte body) can sport a look which may look pretty odd on a 50 year old woman and vice-versa.
How To Dress With Ageless Style
Learn how to dress with ageless style, with these fashionable clothing tips for women over 50. Always keep in mind that there is a little girl hidden in every woman, so stay cool and keep looking stylish and trendy even after 50.
- Just avoid those tight outfits if possible as these dresses sometimes doesn’t look elegant on women over 50. It is always better to choose clothes which are right fit in order to look elegant. When choosing clothes simply look for better fabrics, better cuts which makes a better fit.
- You can wear tunic with sleeves and avoid flashy strapless, one shoulder and halter dresses. For some occasions these dresses look cool but if that’s not your style you can simply avoid.
- Do not wear dresses which are meant for an 18-20 year old girl. Always wear comfortable clothes which suits your style.
- Choose bolder, bigger accessories than using many jewelry items. A one bold, strong jewelry is more chick and apt for your age.
- Do not opt for very low cuts, short or plunging neckline dresses as they may look very odd on woman over 50. Fashion doesn’t mean you have to flash your skin all the time. You can wear such dresses occasionally but try to go for little longer skirts if possible. If your legs have started showing aging signs why not opt for trendy pants which covers what you want to hide. If your legs aren’t showing signs of aging you can try shorts (to the knee) skirt that shows off a great pair of legs. For some women these also helps in taking attention away from their shapeless middle part of their body.
- Always opt for bold and classical design dresses with small prints and stripes. Urban fashion for aged women includes trench coats, turtlenecks, A-line skirts, waist-length jackets, shirt dresses, eternal blue jeans, gowns with classy shrugs etc.
Do not wear leather dresses like jackets, miniskirts, low waist jeans or Capri’s as these are for younger generation; it might not look cool on a woman over 50.Since, leather accessories, jackets are back in fashion, so choose as per your style.
- Bonus Tip: Women with larger breast may face issues with wrap dress fits. Some wrap dresses (not all) are so low-cut that they make a woman look more slutty than sexy. If you still want to wear wrap dress on an occasion wear a cami underneath. Also, right bra size is vital.
Makeup Tips for Women Over 50
Eyeliner is very feminine and you should use it often. Simply apply eyeliner above the top lashes as a very thin line. Eyelid should be lighter in color and not very dark. Most importantly eyeliner should be chosen based on your complexion.
Use lip liner cautiously as it gives an aging effect. Alternatively, you can also wear neutral colors to cheat the lip line.
It would be wise if you mix little color in your lip gloss especially if you are over 50.
Eye Shadow shimmers
There is a wide variety of eye shadow shimmers available in the market which aren’t creepy anymore. Don’t hesitate to use little shimmer and try a new look.
Apply contouring colors under your neck and chin to shadow the area back. Moreover, to lift the face little up, simply apply highlighting colors above your jawline or bottom of the cheek.
When you reach at 50 you enter into a different fashion world altogether so its better to stay in your world. If you look around you will notice numerous looks you can try even at this stage of life. If time permits why not mix a match, play with your looks a little. Do not try to compete with a 18-20 year old girl who tries weird stuff all the time.
There are various fashion role models for women over 50 who looks calm and classic with good looks. Just think about Helen Mirren, Ann Margaret, Susan Sarandon, Faye Dunaway or Diana Keaton for their casual, elegant and fashion sense.
So, how you dress with ageless style? We would love to hear your own experiences, dressing tips for women over 50. Please leave us a comment and let us know.