(GAD) or Generalized anxiety disorder is an anxiety disorder which can lead to hysterical, extreme and quite unreasonable worry about things we face in our daily life. Typically, women or men suffering from generalized anxiety disorder worry too much about daily life things like family problems, health problems, relationship problems, disaster, death and sometimes work related problems.
Of late, GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) has been brought under the limelight as many of us seem to fall prey to it.
Once when you accept, after going through quite a number of panic attacks and stages of depression, that you have this anxiety disorder, then you need to go for immediate treatment failing which, it can prove to be very destructive.
A recent study on Generalized Anxiety Disorder shows that women are more affected with anxiety disorder than men.
How will you fall prey to this anxiety disorder?
- It runs in the family
- Too much stress and tension to handle
- Some past happenings
- Chronic ill-health of someone in the family
- Odd behavioral pattern of someone you know
- Coping with troubled children
- Loss of job
- Heart diseases
- Other chronic illnesses
What are the symptoms of anxiety disorder?
- More stress
- Anxiety panic disorder
- Anxiety depression
- Self destruction
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- G.I. Tract disorder
- Harassing cough and cold – turns to be chronic
How will you cope with anxiety disorder?
- You must accept the fact that you are suffering from this disorder – there is no need to get angry or irritated when someone points it to you.
- Go for a thorough physical check up – discuss with your doctor (do not hide anything from him) and ask him to prescribe medication to you.
- Work out positive daily routine – exercises/yogas, medication, reaching out to people, listening to good music, watching movies that will make you laugh, etc.
- Reduce stress and try to lead a calmer life.
- When you establish the fact that there are some areas of life that irritates you, or angers you, or make you anxious unnecessarily, try to avoid those situations.
- Stop your daily consumption of tea, coffee, alcohol. If you cannot do this by yourself, take someone else’s help.
- Visit your psychiatrist or psychotherapist on a regular basis. “Talks” with him will help you tremendously in coping with this disorder.
General Anxiety Disorder Treatments
There are numbers of treatment and therapies to go for if you are diagnosed of general anxiety disorder.
- Medication – the normal course of action taken by any doctor.
- Psychotherapy (talk therapy) – it is of great help as talking your problems out can put you in a positive perspective and state of mind.
- Cognitive-behavior therapies – these are most effective in reining in exaggerations and distortion in the power of thinking – your anxious thoughts will be replaced by more calm and reasonable thinking.
Healthy lifestyle, including yoga, meditation, good diet, friends, loved ones, etc. obviously reduces the chances of allowing anxiety disorder to nestle in your mind. Please leave me a comment and let me know your own ways of coping up with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Don’t forget to subscribe our RSS to receive latest updates.