Lord Buddha and the studies of Buddhism has contributed in carving some of the magnificent Buddha statues in the world. These statues are still fascinating mankind because of their gigantic size. Following is a list of most popular & largest statues of lord Buddha across the globe.
1. Ushiku Daibutsu, Japan: Located in Ushiku, Japan this Buddha statue finished in 1995. This is one of the tallest statue measuring over 120 meters. This statue is known as Ushiku Arcadia which depicts Amitabha Buddha.
2. Kamakura Great Buddha, Japan: Located in Kamakura temple, Japan this temple is famous for Buddhist statues (diabustu) from the era of 1252. This statue is over 13 meters carved in bronze.
3. Leshan Great Buddha, China: This Buddha statue shows Bodhisattva (sitting posture), carved out of a cliff. This is biggest carved stone Buddha in the world standing about 71 meters.
4. Reclining Buddha, Bangkok: This statue of reclining Buddha is gold plated and more than 46 meters long which commemorates the Buddha passing into Nirvana. The statue’s eyes and feet are decorated with engraved mother of pearl, the soles of the feet displaying the 108 auspicious characteristics of the true Buddha.
5. Emerald Buddha, Bangkok: Bangkok also house Wat Phra Kawe (temple of Emerald Buddha) which is the most popular Buddha statue in the world. This Buddha statue was made in India which is later taken to Sri Lanka and finally moved to Bangkok by the Buddhist monks.
6. Gal Vihare, Sri Lanka: Located in Polonnaruwa, this Buddha statue was constructed by Parakramabahu. The central attraction of the temple are 4 large statues of the Buddha carved into the face of a granite boulder. Among these giant stone figures are a reclining statue of the Buddha that measures 14 meters in length and a standing figure measuring 7 meters high.
7. Monywa Buddhas, Myanmar: Monywa Buddha constructed in 1991 is the largest statue amongst reclining Buddha statues in the world. This colossal figure measures 90 meters in length.
8. Hussain Sagar Buddha Statue, India: The Buddha statue situated at the center of an artificial lake in the city of Hyderabad is one of India’s most famous Buddhist statues. This figure stands at a full 17 meters tall and weighs 320 tons.
9. Buddha head, Thailand: Located in Ayutthaya, Thialand is one of the world’s most unusual Buddhist statues. Among the ruins of Wat Mahathat (The Temple of the Great Relic) is the remains of a sandstone statue of the Buddha whose body has been lost to the ages but whose head rests appropriately in the climbing roots and vines of a tree.
10. Tian Tan Buddha, Hong Kong: Also know as Big Buddha, Tian Tan Buddha is situated in Lantau Island, Hong Kong. Named Tian Tan after being a replica of the Temple of Heaven. This Buddha statue is 34 meters tall sittings on a lotus throne on top of a three tiered altar.
Leave me a comment and let me know what do you think about these amazing buddha statues. Don’t forget to subscribe to our RSS for latest updates delivered to your email for FREE!