Hangover is the wrath of grapes. Hangover is a conglomeration of symptoms such as fatigue, weakness, vertigo, etc. occurring as a repercussion of excessive alcohol intake.
The term hangover implies a constellation of painful and unpleasant symptoms developing after too much alcohol consumption.
It is a frightening word owing to its aftermaths. Drowsiness, headaches, vertigo, nausea, vomiting and mouth dryness of are a few results of hangover. Obviously nobody would like to wake up with such discomforting hangover symptoms.
Wine is bottled poetry. The veracity is known only to the drinker how sweet the poetry is when he experiences the aftermaths of wine in the form of hangover. – R.L. Stevenson
Learn what is hangover, what causes hangover, hangover symptoms, hangover severity and 20 hangover remedies, hangover cures.
What Cause A Hangover
The single cause of Hangover is excessive consumption of alcohol. Alcohol alters the normal functioning of the body and creates a state of illusion.
- The hangover symptoms are mainly attributed to two factors. Diuretic effect of alcohol: This effect causes dehydration
- Toxic effects of alcohol: This causes poisoning in the body and disturbs normal metabolism
- Alcohol can lead damage liver, brain, central nervous system, gastrointestinal system and even sensory perception.
- Hangover can alter your mood and concentration. Sleep disturbances are also common.
- Dryness of mouth
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Lack of concentration
- Accelerated Heart Beat
- Halitosis-bad breath
- Photophobia – sensitivity to vision
Severity of Hangover
The severity of hangover entirely depends upon the quantity of alcohol consumed. Hangover can lead to following complications:
- Immune System Response: In severe cases hangover is seen to be associated inflammatory response by the immune system.
- Excessive Urination: Polyuria is common with hangover. Excessive urination causes dehydration and lightheadedness.
- Stomach Irritation: Excessive consumption of alcohol causes increased production of acids in the stomach and delays the emptying of stomach. This combined effect leads to stomachache, nausea and vomiting.
- Blood Sugar Drop: With alcohol intake blood sugar level drops and results in shakiness, tiredness, moodiness, even seizures in severe cases.
- Blood vessels dilatation: Dilatation of the blood vessels causes headache.
- Alters Sleep Quality: Alcohol is induces sleep but the sleep is of poor quality and the individual generally wakes up feeling exhausted and weak.
- Congener: Congeners are responsible for the symptoms of hangover. They are released during fermentation process. The aroma and taste of alcohol are attributed to congeners. Chemically speaking congeners are esters and aldehydes.
20 Hangover Remedies, Hangover Cures
Here are few important and effective cures to avoid hangover. Keep them in mind while you drink:
- Good Diet: Fill your stomach and eat well before drinking. Your diet should be rich in starch, vitamins and minerals. Healthy diet will lessen the effect of alcohol.
- Drink Fluids: Hydrate your body to avoid hangover. Drink water and fruit juices and save from the agony of hangover.
- Prepare a Tangy Drink: Before taking alcohol prepare a tangy lemonade or citrus drink and keep it handy. Consume it the next morning to shorten the impact of last night alcohol.
- Prickly Pear Extract: Studies have shown that prickly pera extract can mitigate the effects of hangover. So drink the extract before taking alcohol.
- Eat While You Drink: Eat something fried maybe a burger or French Fries while you drink alcohol. The snacks fill your stomach and delay the absorption of alcohol, saving you from the painful symptoms of hangover. Even peanut or popcorn will serve the desired purpose.
- Choose Carefully: Select your booze very carefully and opt for light colored drinks as they contain less congener. Choose light to reduce hangover.
- Important Phrase: The age old saying is absolutely true. Avoid drinking beer before liquor. The outcome will be too painful next morning. So remember, “Liquor before beer, never fear. Beer before liquor, never sicker.”
- Alternate Beverages: Drink alternatively alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. This will cut down your hangover tremendously. Drink fruit juice or water in between alcohol sessions.
- Drink Less: Take one drink an hour. Your liver requires an hour to break consumed alcohol so give chance to your metabolism to function smoothly and do not over load it.
- Vitamin B: Before retiring to bed drink a glass of water and eat vitamin B pills. This will further improve your digestion.
- No Painkillers: Another point to keep in mind is to avoid taking pain killers before sleeping. It is a common practice with most of the drinkers. Pain killers double the damage as they adversely affect the liver metabolism and slow it down.
- Drink Sensibly: The best way to avoid hangover is to abstain from alcohol or in dire situation drink sensibly. Too much drinking is bound to wake you in a terrible state the next morning. So be sensible and drink less.
- No Alcoholic Drinks: It is a myth that an alcoholic drink will help you get rid of hangover symptoms. This will rather prolong your hangover.
- Sip Water: The best cure for treating hangover is to sip water throughout the day. This will hasten your body’s metabolism and will help you get rid of unabsorbed alcohol.
- Eat Carbohydrates: After consuming alcohol hangover is bound to occur so eat carbohydrate like bread or crackers. This elevates your blood sugar level and helps your metabolism in breaking alcohol.
- Rest a While: While having a hangover rest is recommended as it facilitates speedy recovery.
- Avoid Caffeine: Avoid consuming too much of caffeine as it will further delay the metabolism process. Caffeine also cause dehydration.
- Pickles or Fish: have canned fish or pickles as they help you overcome the hangover.
- Shower: Take alternate hot and cold shower to ease the situation.
- Vitamin C: Drink lot of vitamin C juices like orange juice or tangy lemonade. Tamarind juice is very effective in fading the hangover symptoms.
Other Hangover Articles
We would love to hear your own hangover remedies, please leave us a comment and let us know.